Tuesday, December 7, 2010

'The RV Whisperer' - Episode I

Those who know me know that I am not a fashion plate. Heck, I'm not even a soup bowl or a butter dish.

When I worked at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, I was pretty much a khakis, blue shirt, dirty bucks kind of guy. That outfit, along with a blue blazer,  served well for any occasion -- funeral, wedding, dinner with my mom.

RV'ing presents a different kind of sartorial challenge, and it can lead a person to do things they wouldn't otherwise do.

At the beginning of my fall trek across the East and Midwest, I encamped for several days at the Liberty Harbor Marina and RV Park in Jersey City, N.J. They claim to be the closest RV park to Manhattan, and I don't doubt it. You can walk five blocks to catch a PATH train at Grove Street and be in the West Village in about 15 minutes. Or you could take the green line north to Hoboken.

Anyway, I've wasted enough of your time without getting to the punchline.

Truth is, I went to the city one day, wearing my hiking boots and dark socks. When I got back to Honey hours later, my feet hurt and I took off the boots. Then I needed to visit the facilities. I put my sandals on and walked across the parking lot. Before I could say "Bob's Your Uncle," I had crossed the line of wearing socks with sandals. Dark socks.

Looking back, I think it's really a good thing. Made sense, makes sense. Another RV lesson learned.


This blog entry is based on research for my book about the University Athletic Association.

Please email me at kevinsquieraustin@gmail.com with the names of UAA athletes from 1987 to the present who have significant career, personal and community accomplishments since graduation.

Copyright 2010, Kevin S. Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment